If you’re anything like me, the first day of class is always incredibly stressful. You have no clue what to expect because you’re starting completely new classes! One way I feel less stressed is by getting everything prepared and making sure I’m ready for anything that comes my way. With this list, you will definitely be prepared for the first day of college classes!
- Buy an agenda and use it! For the first few weeks, I recommend adding in your class times and locations, so you always know where you’re headed. Once you get used to your schedule, you won’t need it written down anymore, but it’s nice to have those first few weeks.
- Find your classes! You will likely move onto campus about 3 days to a week before classes start. Amid all the activities, take some time to find all of your classes. Even if you think you know the general area. Some colleges, like mine, even have upperclassmen led sessions to help you find your classes!
- Check your email! Don’t be that freshman that doesn’t check your email until after classes start! Email is the number one form of communication in college. Everything from move-in info, to syllabuses, to communication from the university will come to your email. It is vital that you start checking it daily!
- Buy school supplies! Sometimes, college students forget to buy school supplies in all the excitement for dorm shopping. Make sure you have some folders, notebooks, and pens/pencils. You will definitely need at least those three! I personally use much more than that, but those are the minimum!
- Start waking up earlier! I usually ruin my sleep schedule during the summer, going to bed after midnight and waking up at 11. Knowing this, I make sure to start adjusting back to a better schedule a few weeks before school starts. You don’t want the first time you wake up at 7am in months to be the first day of classes. Even if you don’t have early classes, it’s a good idea to start getting re-adjusted.
- Pick out your first day outfit and pack your backpack! I always like to take a little time the night before the first day of classes to set out the outfit I want to wear, and get my backpack ready. It’s actually great practice anyway, because it’s so nice to have that stuff ready to go if (and when) you wake up late! If you don’t know what to put in your backpack, check out this post on college backpack essentials!
- Make sure you have completed any first day assignments! Some professors will give homework to be completed by the first class. Evil, I know. Make sure you check blackboard or whatever program your school uses to ensure you’re ready!
With these seven easy things, you can be super prepared for your first day of class! I know it can be nerve-racking, but also so fun and amazing! How do you prepare for your first day of class? Let me know in the comments!