Hey beautiful girl! Recently I have noticed a large trend of articles about why you shouldn’t be in a relationship in college. On the one hand, I 100% believe “girls don’t need no man”. I totally agree that a relationship is irrelevant to having an amazing college experience. On the other hand, I think it’s a bit extreme to say you should always be single in college.
Honestly, being single in college can be amazing – but that doesn’t mean you can’t also have an amazing experience while being in a relationship! A healthy relationship can only add to your college experience, rather than tearing it down. You shouldn’t let go of a healthy relationship for no reason!
Here are a few reasons I think being in a relationship in college can be awesome!
- They’re a built in friend. When you have to go to awkward social events and can’t find any friends to go with you, you can always fall back on your partner! Now that my boyfriend lives with me, he gets dragged along to events that I don’t want to go to alone, and it’s amazing!
- They provide emotional support. When you go to college, it often means moving far away from your friends and family. Having a partner can help provide another form of emotional support! Last year I had really bad anxiety attacks, and the only person who could calm me down was my boyfriend. We were still long distance at the time, but he would always answer the phone when he knew I was having an attack.
- They’re your biggest fan. When you’re in a relationship, the other person should be constantly supporting you. Both pushing you to be better and being proud of your accomplishments. I don’t know about you, but hearing someone say “I’m proud of you” is one of the best feelings for me!
- They can be a welcome distraction. Sometimes it’s nice to stop thinking about homework, and work, and whatever else you have going on, and just focus on you significant other. Date nights (skype or in person) can be a great way to get your mind off of things and enjoy yourself.
- They take care of you. This one kind of goes hand in hand with emotional support. When I’m sick, my boyfriend is super helpful. He runs to the store to purchase medicines, cooks me dinner, and makes sure I’m getting enough sleep. In college, you no longer have your mom there to feed you soup and take care of you when you’re sick! Unless you have a really great roommate, your SO will probably be your best care taker.
- They motivate you. Your partner will be there next to you cheering you on and helping you stay motivated on those days you just want to give up. Sometimes to make it through those tough nights of homework you really need help to keep you going.
Being in a relationship is not for everyone, and that is totally okay! Yet, I think it’s important to remember the good parts of being in a relationship while in college! If you’re in a healthy relationship with someone you love, there’s no reason to let that relationship go.
What are your favorite parts of being in a relationship? Let me know in the comments below! Don’t forget to follow me on twitter to hear about the good and bad of living with my boyfriend!