Hey gorgeous! Can you believe school starts in just a few weeks? This is the first year I won’t be living in the dorms, and I may or not be missing that back to school shopping fun! I love back to school shopping, and I’ve really enjoyed getting to shop for my dorm the past two years! Even though I don’t get to hit the store and grab these awesome back to school dorm essentials, I can still share my list with you!
This post contains affiliate links, but as always, I only include brands and products that I think are amazing and worth sharing with you!
- A Keurig. If you love coffee, tea, or hot chocolate, I highly recommend a Keurig. You don’t want to be dropping $5 at Starbucks every time you want some caffeine! Having your own coffee machine is a must, and a Keurig is amazing because it is so simple and there is no clean up! The keurig is also great for other things! Pro tip: the largest drink setting on there fills up a ramen instant cup perfectly! Plus, look at how cute this one is!
- Dry Shampoo. Imagine: you woke up late and you don’t have time to shower, your hair is super greasy and you can’t find a hat. The solution? Dry shampoo! I particularly love this brand, I’ve tried a bunch and it works better than everything else I’ve tried – and it smells really good! Dry shampoo is absolutely one of my college essentials!
- A Calendar. I always found this weekly calendar the most helpful, as it helped me keep track of major events, and it had a little cork board along the bottom to hang flyers and invitations to events! I also used my planner and a desk calendar, but every person is different, so use whatever works best for you!
- A Cute Bed Spread. Let’s face it, dorm rooms are small. Your bed takes up a huge part of your room, and it’s a great way to show off your style! Plus, you will want a comfy bed, considering you will probably be spending a lot of time in there! One great company that has come to my attention recently is Crane & Canopy, an online bedding store with super cute and comfy bedding sets, including twin XL sets, which are meant to fit your dorm bed! Like hello, can we talk about how cute and chic this set is?
- Lighting. Trust me, those fluorescent lights are going to get old really fast. I would recommend having a good desk lamp (for those nights your roomie goes to bed but you still need to study), and I also really love string lights! Perhaps those aren’t essential, but they are essential to having an amazing dorm room! My freshman year I had string lights all over my room, and it gave it such a homey, warm feeling (hard to accomplish with linoleum floors and cinderblock walls!)
- A water pitcher. Water is so essential to staying healthy in college, and constantly buying water bottles with your meal plan is a huge waste! I recommend getting a good water bottle, and a refillable water pitcher (with a filter). Dorm water can be kinda gross, so having a pitcher with a filter is a must! I love this Brita Slim Water Pitcher because it fits easily into a tiny dorm fridge! I’ve had this thing since freshman year and I still use it daily in my apartment!
- A rug! The last thing that you want to do on a cold winter morning is get out of your cozy bed and step onto a freezing cold hard floor. I recommend getting a rug to add some more style and to make your room much more comfortable! MAKE SURE you know the measurements of your room before buying a rug – you definitely don’t want to waste money! I recommend a dark color, and although a shag rug may seem great, they are really hard to clean, so I would go with a more basic rug! Walmart sells relatively cheap and cute rugs that can easily be thrown away at the end of the year!
So there you have it, my back to school dorm essentials! What would you add to the list? Let me know in the comments below!