Hey lovelies! This week I want to talk about a subject that’s very important for me right now – surviving a long day of college classes. On most days, I am on campus for 5-6 hours without any breaks and some days it’s even later than that. On Thursday’s I am on campus from 9:30 am – 9:30 pm! I don’t have time to run home between classes, so it’s really important for me to be prepared for a long day of college classes!
Some lucky people will have long breaks between all of their classes, but for many of us, we only get 10-15 minutes, so we have to carry our entire days with us in our backpacks! For me, this can often include medicine, change of clothes, multiple books, and other miscellaneous items!
- Check your calendar the night before and set out everything you will need. I cannot emphasize enough how important this is. You don’t want to be like me today, desperately begging my boyfriend to bring something to me on campus because I forgot it at home in my rush out the door! I usually do this in a 3 step process:
- Go through your classes one by one. Set out any folders, books, or assignments that you will need to take with you. This is also a great time to check and make sure you have completed all assignments for the next day.
- Check for extras. Sometimes classes will need you to bring something extra that day, like an i-clicker, or a dictionary. These little things can make or break a well prepared person. If you want to work out on campus, make sure you bring a change of clothes, as well as deodorant and anything else you need!
- Look at your extra-curriculars. If you have to go right from class to a meeting, make sure you have any supplies you will need for that. If you have to go to work right after, make sure you pack your uniform and work shoes!
- Double check you have the essentials. Make sure you have your wallet, id, and an umbrella. (Long days mean no time to go home and grab one!) Make sure you have chargers for your electronics and a set of headphones. A few other important reminders:
- I also love to carry a small bottle of aspirin. You never know when a headache is going to hit, and you don’t want to be that person desperately asking everyone around you for aspirin.
- Another important thing to remember is to always have some tampons and pads in your bag. Even if you are super regular, sometimes we can lose track of things. It’s a horrible feeling to be trapped in the middle of the day with no supplies. Plus, it’s always good to have those on you for a friend or stranger in need. I have helped out many friends coworkers, and even one of my professors by always being prepared with these items.
- Pack a snack and your water bottle. You don’t want to be sitting in your 12 o clock lecture with your stomach grumbling, knowing you aren’t going to eat until 3 or later. You can be as elaborate or as simple as you want with your snacks. I usually pack a granola bar or some crackers. If you know you aren’t going to get a lunch break, it only makes sense to bring a snack. A water bottle is important because it’s easy to fill it up between classes and helps prevent dehydration! Make sure you have some money on you, just in case you get desperate and need to run to the vending machine!
- Get a good night’s sleep! The most important part of making it through a long day of college classes is being well rested. There is no way I could handle a 12 hour day if I was constantly yawning and nodding off. If you didn’t get the chance to sleep long enough, try drinking coffee to help wake you up!
With these tips and a great attitude, you can easily rock your long day of college classes! How to do you prepare for long days? Let me know in the comments below! Follow me on instagram to stay updated on my long days and how I survive them!