Hey friends. I’ve been wanting to share a life update post for a while now, but I decided to wait until after graduation so I had something good to share! I don’t often post life updates on the blog, but I want you guys to know who I am, and what’s been going on in my life. There’s also some things I’ve really been enjoying this month, so I wanted to share those things with you in addition to the life update!
Life Update: I Graduated(!)
As you likely know, this website started as a college advice blog. While that is often still the focus, it has grown to also include travel and lifestyle as well. This past Saturday marked the end of my undergraduate career at Ball State University. So many loved ones came down to Indiana to watch me graduate, and I had an amazing day full of love and support. Yet, there was also a bittersweet edge to it. As I’ve worked towards my degree for the past four years, I have found so many friends and faculty that have supported me along the way. Although I am ready to take the next step in my life, it is going to be difficult to say goodbye to those who have been there for me the past four years.
For those of who you graduate in the coming weeks or graduated last Saturday like me, congratulations. For those of who still have some college years left, enjoy them, drink it all in. It goes so fast.
Post Graduation Plans
For those of you who follow me on instagram, you might have noticed I got some disappointing news on Monday. That was in regards to a job that I had really been counting on. I was second pick, and although it was nice to hear that they really liked me, it’s hard to hear that you need to start over from square one.
So, I’ve spent the last few days applying like crazy, in hopes that something else will turn up. Unfortunately there is not a huge job market for my area of teaching, so finding a job has been tough. I’m trying to remain hopeful and not get too discouraged.
Meanwhile, I’ve been interviewing for some local jobs for the summer, which has also been a struggle since I’ll be leaving in July. Overall, job hunting is the main focus of my life right now, but I am also trying to take some time for myself and take care of me during this really stressful time.
Things I’ve Been Loving
On the note of taking care of myself, I wanted to share a few things that I have been loving since coming back to the states 2 weeks ago!
*If you buy any of the products linked below, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting brands that make Living in Full Bloom possible!*
- This Portable Cold Brew Mug. A friend of mine picked me up one of these on target clearance while I was in Germany and I have been using it non-stop since she gave it to me! I love cold brew but always struggled making it at home. This is a much cheaper solution than buying a $4.50 cold brew at starbucks every day!
- Harry Potter and the Sacred Text Podcast. I listen to this on spotify, but I believe it is also available elsewhere! I am a huge Harry Potter nerd, and I have enjoyed listening to this podcast in free moments. The podcast basically breaks down the series chapter by chapter, reading it as if it were a sacred text, and really giving you a new perspective on the series.
- Mortar Board Decorating (Grad Caps). I loved seeing all of the creative and beautiful graduation caps at my university this weekend. Last week I spent lots of time on pinterest getting ideas, and then wandered through Michael’s putting cute things in the cart. I ended up returning half the stuff I bought, but I think it turned out pretty well! Mine is in the image above. If you’ve decorated your cap this year, please share it with me! I love seeing new and creative grad caps!
- The Hate U Give. This book by Angie Thomas has been getting a lot of buzz in the past year, and I actually planned to read it before leaving for Germany, since my dad got it for me as a Christmas present. Unfortunately, the package was delayed until I had already left, so I got to read it right when I got back to the states! This book was a really great read, and is very topical as it addresses police brutality and a lot of ideas that have been discussed recently in our society. If you haven’t yet read this book, I highly recommend picking it up. If you want to follow what I’m reading, let’s become friends on goodreads!
- Poke Bowls. I have never had poke before, but I finally got a chance to try it. A new restaurant opened up in my college town and it’s walking distance from my apartment. I went in on a whim to check it out and I was super impressed! If you love sushi, I highly recommend poke. This location, called Hoku Poke, was really cool because it lets you choose exactly what you want on top! I would include a picture of my bowl, but it was too dang delicious and I totally forgot to take a picture.
- Get Up 10 & Best Life. I enjoy the whole new Cardi B album, but I especially love these two songs on the album. Beware, there are a LOT of expletives. These songs have been motivating me as I’ve been pretty discouraged in the job search over the past few weeks. If you like rap/hip-hop you should definitely check out her new album. She’s overcome a lot, and her music definitely pumps me up.
- Dear White People Season Two. I loved the first season of this show, and I’ve been watching the new season slowly while filling out job apps. I think this show is so relevant to our society and what’s been going on in our world, and I really enjoy it. If you’re looking for your next netflix show, this is it.
What’s Happening on Living in Full Bloom?
Don’t worry – LiFB isn’t going anywhere. I have some big plans for the blog this summer, and I have some really exciting collaborations coming up! I can’t wait to share them with you, as well as a lot of other content this summer.
To be honest, although I am no longer a college student, I will still be sharing college advice content. Plus lifestyle and other types of advice. I still have lots of wisdom to share about the best four years of my life! (IDK ya’ll I’m feeling very nostalgic since I just finished.)
Thanks for reading this little life update, and I hope you discovered something new to check out this month! One last thing, I’m making a summer reading list, and I’m seeking book recommendations. Please drop them in the comments or tweet me your best summer book recs!